Ingredients for 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons finely minced or crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice (if using can, select one with NO sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium tamari or soy (more/less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon mirin (optional but recommended)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
- Slushy – 1 tablespoon arrowroot mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Rice Mix
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup finely minced cilantro
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon (vegan) butter
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons (white) pepper
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (OPTIONAL)
- spray avocado oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onion stalks, chopped
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce. Set a sauce pan on medium heat and add the sauce. Bring it to a gentle simmer, then add the arrowroot “slushy” mix and stir immediately to prevent the sauce from clumping. Remove it from the heat and continue stirring. Season to taste with more tamari, lime or pineapple juice.
- Mix together the ingredients for the Rice Mix. Set aside.
- Season chicken breast with sea salt & pepper (and if desired a tablespoon of arrowroot in order to better help the sauce stick to the chicken once it is added). Massage thoroughly onto the chicken then set a carbon steel skillet on medium high heat. Once hot, spray with oil, then add the chicken. Let the chicken rest untouched in the pan (in order to sear) for 2 – 3 minutes. Then stir immediately and toss the chicken in the pan. Add the bell pepper and green onion and continue cooking until all of the chicken is cooked through, about 7 – 10 minutes.